It started out looking like this...
I absolutely hated the Hollywood lights! Over at Pretty Handy Girl, she gave a tutorial on how to change out such a light fixture, so I gave it a go. It was very easy to do, however, the electrical box was not centered over the mirror...it was to the left which ticked me off!!
Not much I could do about that as I am not an electrician nor was I calling one to do it! So, I made due with what I had and the new light fixture I bought actually fit perfectly. Again, its not centered over the mirror, but I'll live with it. (Oh...just when I started to take pictures the middle bulb burned out...nothing will every be perfect around here!)
I painted the walls a light blue color called "Live" from Home Hardware. (I love their paint!) It's a very soft color and very calming. I added beadboard wallpaper...yip, wallpaper! It was cheap and doesn't look too bad! I used MDF (1/2") to add trim to the beadboard, top and bottom. I painted it with a white called "Puff Ball". I also painted the existing door trim and door with the same color. As well, I painted the vanity.
Speaking of the vanity...if you look at the before picture closely, you will see that the countertop extended over the back of the toilet.
Now, without trying to bore you, but I must explain, you will see that the "extension" has a big hole cut out of it. When we replaced the toilet, the new one was too tall for the space...low flow toilet with the flush buttons on top of the tank. The toilet fit, but you couldn't get your hand in to flush it, so out of frustration, my husband got out the jigsaw and cut an opening big enough to expose the buttons! The whole thing didn't seem to bother him...as he said, problem solved! Okay, I removed that section of the countertop because it bothered me!
I made a frame for the mirror using 1x4 pine and painted it a dark brown. I also used the same brown to trim the vanity doors and to paint the towel ladder I built...again, from 1x4 pine and dowel.
The hand towel rack is actually a wrought iron flower pot holder. It was an off-white, but I spray painted it with Rustoleum's oil rubbed bronze.
I added height to the doorway by using 1/2" MDF cut to the width of the doorway by 4" high. I trimmed it with crown moulding then painted the entire thing the same color as the door and trim.
My so-called artwork is a bunch of scrap 1x4's glued together, randomly painted with the same colors used in the bathroom and funky candle lanterns attached to it.
Not much else to tell you...that's about it!
Thank you for stopping by...I hope you enjoyed your visit. Have a great weekend!