Monday, July 1, 2013

Ikea Tray Makeover

I found this Ikea tray at our local Goodwill store for $4.00 and thought I could turn into something decorative for our little apartment...





This is what it looks like now...



First, I gave the entire tray, including the metal handles and sides a light sanding using 100-grit sandpaper.  Remember...I live in a little apartment and our shop full of tools are...well...still in our shop at our home in BC!  So, sanding without a sander is not much fun.  Anyway, I sanded it, but probably not as nicely as it would have been with the proper tools, then wiped the surface to remove any loose dust.

I then applied dark walnut stain to the entire tray and wiped the excess off.

 

When it dried, I applied Buttermilk and Tuscan Red by DecoArt and Forest Moss by FolkArt in random stripes by drybrushing onto the surface.  Once the paint dried I, again, lightly sanded the surface to remove some of the paint giving it a more weathered look.



It still needed something...


 so I stenciled the number "2" to the bottom right corner using buttermilk paint.  I let it dry and removed some paint to make it look as though the number weathered as well.



I am happy with the way it turned out and it will add some color to my "revamped" floating shelves...a project I will share later. 
 
 
 
Thank you for stopping by...
 
Lesa



12 comments:

  1. Lesa, that's adorable! Before it was run of the mill but now it's one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and simple is always best, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a beautiful refinish! I never would have guess it started life as an ikea product! Lovely!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome transformation. I will be featuring this tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this little piece of DIY art. I wonder if they still have the tray at IKEA--I'm going to head over to their site and look -Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty update! Love the stripes and the number!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adds so much character! Pinned it!

    Thanks so much for linking up at the party,
    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a very creative person Lesa. I like how you find beauty and inspiration in every object you see, and this trail came out really good, at a fair price. Besides, it looks like it didn’t take too much work either, just major inspiration, but you seem to have it.

    My Website: Online Doctorate

    ReplyDelete